On his facebook profile, the german-filipino player posted a picture with the words "the filipino soul is stronger than any typhoon". "I am naturally shocked and deeply saddened by the terrible news and pictures from my home country. I pray for my brothers and sisters in the philippines," the 27-year-old told the dpa news agency.
Schrock is currently in calcutta with the national team. This team is coached by german michael weib (48) and will face the indian national team in a test match on friday. A cancellation is obviously not up for debate. "I was told that the game will be broadcast in the emergency shelters and that there are many public viewing opportunities – that’s why this game is under a very special star for us," explained the frankfurt native, who holds the citizenship of his philippine mother as well as that of his german mother.
Schrock doesn’t have to worry about family members: "thank god my family is not directly affected, but members of my philippine national team unfortunately are."
Bayern munchen professional david alaba also suffers with his compatriots in the disaster area. "My thoughts are with the victims in the philippines," he wrote on facebook. The 21-year-old was born in vienna and plays for the austrian national team, but his mother is from the philippines and his father from nigeria.
Former soccer stars from germany and turkey play for the victims of the disaster. Originally, the "ran jahrhundertspiel" was scheduled for next sunday (18.00 a.M.) at the veltins arena in gelsenkirchen for the benefit of the "ein herz fur kinder" campaign. As the organizer announced, each ticket now also supports the victims of the storm disaster and a german-turkish project in berlin neukolln. Jurgen kohler, fredi bobic, thomas habler and toni schumacher, among others, will be competing in the benefit match. The turkish selection is coached by christoph daum.
Meanwhile, fifa president joseph blatter has offered help in a letter to the fifa president of the philippines. "Our thoughts are with the victims of the disaster and their families, and i wish them strength and courage in the reconstruction and rescue efforts," the world governing body quoted from blatter’s letter to mariano araneta on its homepage. The FIFA president assured: "we are at your disposal if special help is needed for the football family"."
The typhoon killed at least 1,774 people in the east of the country, according to the disaster control agency’s figures so far. Most of them drowned in tsunami-like floods. More than 2,000 people were injured, it also said. However, estimates from relief organizations sometimes put the number of dead at more than 10,000.
International sport also asks for donations outside of soccer. "Fast, uncomplicated. Help!!", spain’s formula 1 star fernando alonso wrote on twitter about a photo from the aid organization unicef showing a man with two small children in his arms. Rival lewis hamilton of mercedes recalled his trip to the philippines last year for unicef great britain. "Typhoon haiyan is now having a devastating effect on the lives of approximately four million children," hamilton wrote on facebook. Tennis star maria scharapowa tweeted: "let’s all help the survivors together."